Monday, May 27, 2013

Will They Survive the Heat? A Garden Update

The last week of April gave us triple-digit temperatures in Carlsbad. A great way to begin the summer season... especially for the plants. The herbs are the most expressive, displaying their displeasure with the heat by wilting all the way to the ground. They spring up right after they get some water though! The rest of the garden is a bit quieter, so M and I have been watching for signs of heat stress and general displeasure.

When I got into town on Saturday afternoon, the broccoli was wilting quite a bit. Its had a rough spring fighting off cabbage worms. At this point, I'm not even sure if it'll produce but at least its teaching us about growing broccoli. (the first pancake rule is definitely in effect here).

expressing its hatred of the heat....

much happier... if you don't count the cabbage worm battle scars



We've also seen the arrival of our first few Roma tomatoes!
i can't wait to eat you!



The cilantro that I oh-so frequently kill seems to be doing great in my absence. I'm trying not to take it personally.



The potatoes have grown so much since I last saw them. They're almost 5 feet tall!


potato flowers have no smell....
Our newest addition, the bush beans, seem to be coming up nicely.
I hope they produce! Fresh beans are fantastic!


Oh! and remember the shade cover I was trying to copy? (Gardening: an update)
Well here is my version. A little less pretty but completely useful. Although looking at the early pics of our broccoli is making me sad.... so long sweet broccoli.

The awesome shade cover, that is hopefully wind-resistant and only needs a few
more layers of burlap, should totally help relieve the plants from
the summer afternoon sun.



In other parts of the yard, Mother Nature is doing her own natural thing.

tiger lilies are starting to appear in random areas
another kind of lily... anyone know what it is?

teeny tiny purple and pink flowers



And that's the garden as of Memorial Day... The herbs are chilling in the shade and the veggies are growing! Can't wait to harvest some yumminess.



4 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! Good luck fighting the heat! I'm fighting vermin...and my dog. Already time for some new pepper and tomato plants, bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to focus on heat-accepting crops, or at least getting a strain that is heat-resistant... Hope it works. Too bad you can't create a dog-resistant variety. It'd make you a fortune!

      Delete
  2. I have never been successful with growing broccoli, bugs tend to love them. BUT, your potatoes are rocking out!!! Looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I plan to try broccoli again, but yeah the bugs are loving them. We hope to harvest one bin of potatoes this next weekend. :-)

      Delete