Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Running Away to the Mountains

I had a quick 3-days off last weekend and decided  I needed to run away to the mountains. I used to run away every weekend, driving until I was tired and then sleeping in the back on my car. (Learned that from a close friend who shares my name.) Now, I have responsibilities... named Lennox and Chicory.... and can't run away last minute all the time.

I aimed my car east and headed 2 hours to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Guadalupe Peak is the highest peak in Texas and visible for an hour or two away. The peak is located in an ancient underwater reef system that is responsible to world-class fossils and world-class caves. Carlsbad Caverns is also in this reef. The Guadalupes rise straight up out of the flat desert ground, creating a most amazing view from far down the highway.

One hour away and already taking my breath away

To the west of the mountains the park is all salt flats. It
creates a very striking and blinding landscape to drive through.

Guadalupe Mountains rising thousands of feet above
the salt flats. And yes, I'm photographing while driving.
Kids, don't try this at home.

Almost there! This is my favorite part of the drive... You
get the best view of El Capitan rising straight to the sky
over on the left.

I've never been to this campground and was delighted to find a great little walk-in tent section. The only thing I hate about camping in national parks is noisy families and slamming car doors.... This had none of that. I picked the only tent spot left, way in the back (read: quiet).

View from my tent....
more glorious view... not a person in sight!

The only thing wrong with this spot was the lack of any type of shade. It was late afternoon and the desert heat was getting up there. Luckily, being the outdoorsy chick that I am, I was prepared. I grabbed Lennox's blanket out of my car, spread it down in front of the tent and spent the afternoon reading in the little shade that the tent provided. (I also listened to some Keith and the Girl.... I guess you can take the girl to the wilderness but you can't take her away from Keith and the Girl!)


View from the other side of my campsite

As I lay outdoors, and stared at the bluest possible sky, watching fluffy white clouds drift by, I could feel my stress dissappating. This is what this weekend was all about... no trail warrior, no crazy adventure, just relaxing in nature and chilling the fuck out. Check!

And by "chilling" I mean escaping the dreaded 100s and 90s
of El Paso. Thank you 88!

As I lay in my tent that first night, I stared up at the brilliant night sky. I was eager to see my old friend, the Milky Way. Haven't seen her in a year or so. She comes out late so for the time being I settled for the rest of the universe. Saggitarius, Arcturus, and 3 shooting stars could be seen from my pillow. Just as the Milky Way was making her appearance, a storm moved in and I had to close up my rain fly. Lots of thunder and lightning, followed by a small bit of actual rain. I spent the rest of the night listening to the wind howl while covering my head from being pelted by my flapping tent. Not a restful night...

The next morning, after waking at 6am for a quick trip to the bathroom, moving campsites (shade!) and coffee-brewing, I fell back asleep until 9am. Its vacation and I can sleep as late as I want. As I napped, it rained again. There is nothing quite as soothing as napping in a tent while it rains. I highly recommend it.

After waking the second time, I stopped by the visitor center to say hi to the awesome rangers there and then hit the trail. I choose an easy 5-mile loop.

Perfect.... blue sky and an open trail stretching out
before me.

The halfway point for the trail was an old ranch, Frijole Ranch, and was a superb stop. A spring brings water running through the yard, which is full of huge shade-bringing trees. The water, the breeze, and the trees created an intoxicating cool spot that I had to go lay in for a long while...

My view...
Frijole Ranch house... Sometimes open to the public, but
not today.

Leaving the cool shade behind, I headed back out into the desert. The trail wound across arroyos and then up to the foot of the mountain. There wasn't another human in sight. I wasn't alone though. Two redtail hawks hung out with me for an hour or so. They were probably hunting but they were having fun in the breeze and every so often one would call out to another. Remember the opening credits for Northern Exposure... that awesome bird screech was a redtail. It is easily my favorite sound in the wilderness. (Young people, Northern Exposure was an awesome 90s show, featuring such lovely scenery as wild Alaska, and a wilder young John Corbett. Google it!)

One of the red-tails flying overhead...


Texas madrones stand out along the trail.
The last hour or so of my hike was a hurried one, as two amazing thunderstorms were converging overhead. Not only was I one of the taller things on the trail and therefore a lightning hazard (I have a history with lightning.....), but I really didn't want to get caught out in the rain. I made it back to my tent just in time!

Just missed me!
I spent the rest of the afternoon reading in my tent and then laying on the table, watching the storms hover over the valley, dumping tons of much needed water onto the desert.

Hooray for shade, and for the rain, that made my
afternoon fantastic
That evening, after a sketchy camp dinner that expired in 2008, I met up with a very cool ranger who took me hiking to a super-secret place. I got to see some amazing rock art (rock art is my passion and this ranger knew just where to take me. Most rock art sites are super-secret because too many dumbasses try to deface them.) We hiked out to a great view, and watched the clouds, light, and landscape create some amazingly beautiful scenery, we headed back for a late dinner, great conversation, great tunes, and possibly a bit too much wine. ( Ya'll know me, I'm a cheap date. I kinda tripped my way back to my campsite...) That night, with red wine running through my veins, I yanked the rain fly off and just stared up at the night sky for one last evening. I fell into a deep sleep with the whole galaxy just overhead.

Perfect.




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I haven't been to GUMO yet (or any TX park, for that matter), but can't wait to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mellow post. So much more appro for a mom than the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well not everything I do is crazy and adventurous. I can mellow out too.

      Delete
  3. KHi, I don't know why I never read your blogs until right now, but I enjoyed the shit out of it. Makes me want to pack up my bags and put them in my (super awesome) Xterra and go get some nature. I hate that I so rarely ever get to go outta town and really experience nature. I suppose now that I've got a real functioning vehicle I have no more excuses eh? And I agree... desert rains are the most soothing experiences ever. I can't wait to go find out how awesome other national parks are! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Xterra! Its perfect for throwing stuff in a car and heading out quickly, or sleeping in the back during a bad storm/no tent. Don't forget, the Franklins are in your backyard. You could start camping there to experience nature without leaving town.

      Delete
  4. WOW, your photos have enticed me to make the trip to Guadalupe! Great description to go with...and of course I will have a bit of KATG with me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, let me know if/when you go. I may join you! I have big plans to hike their again... several times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure you enjoyed the ride. Nothing is as exhilarating as trying out activities for the first time. Get out of the comfort zone and pushing yourself to the limits. That is where you can squeeze most out of life. It is just a matter of timing and the right motivation.

    ReplyDelete