Saturday, April 6, 2013

More Proof That I am Not a Botanist

Backyard Mystery Flower


The other day M and I noticed these gorgeous guys blooming in his backyard. I asked M what it was and he answered "a vinca"...  As this vinca was an unknown flower to me, I immediately took a photo so that I could look it up later on my awesome Audubon Flower app.

Cut to yesterday, I've got some downtime at work so I start my search for the mystery flower, inputting the info that I have.

         Color: purple and blue

         Habitat: urban and suburban

         Month: April

         Flower Shape: lobed (after some googling)

And what pops up?! As some of you may have guessed, a damned PERIWINKLE! (Latin Species vinca) Clearly, I am not a botanist.

Stay tuned for more - I'm sure to discover pansies, roses, and friggin' dandelions soon.

(ps - I bet the other Audubon Wildflower users were thrilled to see my periwinkle sighting.)

1 comment:

  1. Check out your father's pictures of his gardens. He has a pic of pink vinca growing in a patio crack. Good comparison

    ReplyDelete