Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas; part 1

Ok, yeah its been a month since my last post.  Sorry, I've been sick, busy, and sick again!  No, my sickness is not due to Black Friday madness and the nausea caused by witnessing those extreme levels of consumerism.  My sickness was bacterial, then viral, and now both. :-(

Today's post is all about my efforts this year for a greener Christmas and holiday season.  This year I'm trying to make my own decorations, give greener gifts and use greener packaging.

So first, lets start with the self-made decorations...  Now I'm not Martha Stewart (evil!) so my DIY decorations most definitely look DIY.  Whatever...  its the thought that counts, right?


Cork Tree found on Etsy
I'd love to have made this one and have a Christmas tree but alas, I haven't drank enough wine yet!  This gives me something to aspire to for next year!




from Emma Lamb
Crocheted garland instead of that tin foil metal stuff that kills vacuum cleaners and probably the environment.  (sorry mom!)  I haven't made this yet but I'm thinking it'd make a great present for someone.
Here's the link if you wanna try making these yourself... 




The last time I made DIY ornaments I was 7 and was making a gingerbread man that my mother hides on the back of the tree every Christmas.



from Twig and Thistle
Then there is this super-simple pine cone garland.  I got my idea from Twig and Thistle and set out to make my own.  The best part of this DIY is the hiking to procure best pine cones!  I started this last winter, picking up pine cones around my apt complex while walking my dog.  I even got my niece and nephew in on the search.  Then while hiking up in Cloudcroft, my nephew and I found larger pine cones.  Many cones were discarded because I'm picky and only want pretty, unsmooshed ones.

I don't have a hole punch so I used a hot burned match to melt holes in my ribbons.  This was done on Thanksgiving Day and if you know me you know I'm drinking wine on that day.  (Not that I don't normally drink wine, but that day its practically mandatory!)  So I'm drinking my wine and realize that I really shouldn't be playing with fire and melting things while buzzed.  So I sacrificed; I quit drinking and sobered right up.  That's dedication!

Here's what I did with the cones, hot matches, superglue and sparkly ribbon I found on sale.

Not perfect but festive!

Made my own bows with superglue


from Kojo Designs
I also made a tea wreath, like this one.  For mine I used a pizza box lid, my stash of tea, clothespins.  I covered the pizza box with leftover shelf liner paper and painted the clothespins with sparkly nail polish.  It now hangs year-round in my pantry, tempting me with lots of great tea.

Sorry, no photo because I'm lazy and sick....


from New England Design
and Construction
For next year I'm thinking a tree made out of a tomato cage and lights!  So festive and I can reuse the cage in the spring.

And who needs the real tree for the real tree smell?  At Bath and Body Works, I found candles to do that job.  Evergreen, Balsam and Fireplace!  They are strongly scented so I don't even have to burn them, just leave them out.  My whole house smells like Christmas without dragging a poor helpless tree from its roots.  Although, who doesn't just love the opening scene from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation where they go out to cut down their own tree, carry it home on the roof of the car only to let a squirrel loose in their living room.  My favorite holiday movie!

Alright, happy holiday decorating!  Next time I'll discuss green gifts and green packaging.  It'll be epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment