Monday, October 24, 2011

For the Last Time, Vegetarian Means NO FISH!

Whew!  It's been a busy month for me, and a quiet month for my readers!  Well, this will be a quick post full of cussing, so get ready.

I've been full-on vegetarian for almost a year now, and before that I was a "becoming vegetarian" for several years, and I'd like to share one small word of advice to everyone out there in the world...  Vegetarians DON'T EAT FISH!  We don't eat any meat and fish is a meat.  Religious-types can go F*** themselves if they don't believe that fish is a meat.  Any self-proclaimed vegetarians out there that say they "still eat fish" can also go F*** themselves.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word meat as "the flesh of an animal (especially a mammal) as food".  ( I just love that qualifier especially a mammal!)

Yahoo Answers - when asked why fish isn't considered a meat gave the best answer I've seen "Because people are idiots"  HAH!  I totally agree.

So now, even if you happen to believe that fish is a vegetable or some other shit than meat, understand me when I say: Restaurants that say something is vegetarian and it has fish in it are bullshit.  Who are they to impose some ridiculous ideology on their customers?!  What's next?  Will they only serve diet items to fat people?!

I was at El Charro in Tucson the other night, having a lovely evening with friends when I spotted this on the menu...

Competely Unacceptable!
After questioning the waitress, I ordered some truly vegetarian tamales and what was hopefully some veggie refried beans (my trust is shot with this chain).  The food at El Charro is great however I've given chef Carlotta Flores a piece of my mind.  Maybe she should hang a banner outside her stores proclaiming only religious-types should eat there? Or that vegetarians/vegans aren't welcome?

Shame on you El Charro!  Shame on you chef Flores!

Go ahead meaties vs. veggies, discuss!

3 comments:

  1. This is a comment I received from a friend via email.

    "I don't disagree at all. There is no universe in which a fish is a vegetable. That's not the hard part for me -- I know what fish is. The hard part is when they boil potatoes in beef broth or whatever and don't tell you. I often tell them to tell the cook to prepare a plate of ordinary vegetables for me, skip the broth and -- oh, yes, don't start me on people who put veggie burgers on the grill with hamburgers and use the same flippers. Hard to eat out. Even harder for me since I don't do dairy either. Loving this blog, by the way."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question, does the chef and El Charro get to see or hear this? After asking if there was meat in the beans and rice, the rice tasted meaty...I guess it is too hard to make veggie stock, and way less healthy in comparison to its counterparts. Oh, wait! No its not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To "the kid"
    I totally agree. I'm so sick of hearing foodies say that veggie stock just doesn't have the same depth as beef or chicken stock. Oh yes it does! Its also cheaper to make (free if you keep your veggie scraps) and is much healthier.

    I'm sending the chef a letter and I quoted the letter on Yelp.com. Any good restaurant owner will have someone scanning Yelp and Urban Spoon and the likes. So let us hope that she does read it.

    ReplyDelete